Funds in Malta
As Malta is in the EU, this jurisdiction benefits from a series of European Union Directives allowing collective investment schemes to operate freely throughout the EU, on the basis of a single authorisation from one member state.
Funds in Malta
Funds in Malta have an advantage, as Malta is part of the EU. Malta therefore benefits from a series of European Union Directives which allow collective investment schemes to operate freely throughout the EU, on the basis of a single authorisation from one member state.
There are four different funds in Malta:
- Undertaking in Collective Investment Transferable Securities “UCIT” Retail fund
- Professional Investor Funds “PIF”
- Alternative Investment Funds “AIF”
- Notified Alternative Investment Funds “NAIF”
Dixcart in Malta can explain these advantages to you in more detail.
The Dixcart office in Malta holds a fund licence and can therefore provide a comprehensive range of services including; fund administration, accounting and shareholder reporting, corporate secretarial services, shareholder services and valuations.
Characteristics of EU regulated funds include:
- A framework for cross-border mergers between all types of EU regulated funds, allowed and recognised by each member state.
- Cross-border master-feeder structures.
- Management company passport, which allows an EU regulated fund established in one EU member state to be managed by a management company in another member state.
Malta has a favourable tax regime and a comprehensive Double Tax Treaty network. English is the official business language, and all laws and regulations are published in English, factors which can all assist in the administration of a fund.
Funds in Malta benefit also from a number of tax advantages:
- No stamp duty on the issue or transfer of shares.
- No tax on the net asset value of the scheme.
- No withholding tax on dividends paid to non-residents.
- No taxation on capital gains on the sale of shares or units by non-residents.
- No taxation on capital gains on the sale of shares or units by residents provided such shares/units are listed on the Malta Stock Exchange.
- Non prescribed funds enjoy an important exemption, which applies to the income and gains of the fund.
The jurisdiction of Guernsey has three Private Investor Fund Routes that can be attractive as part of private wealth management.